Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Liming Wax has begun

I started liming the French furniture today.  I started with the top of the nightstand and its drawer.  The process is quite simple.  After stripping the furniture, I sanded it with a very fine grit sandpaper.  Then I wiped it with a dry cloth to remove any residue, and then I wiped it down with a slightly damp cloth; then let it dry.  I went over the furniture with my brass brush to bring out the grain, then applied the liming wax.  It was like putting Desitin on my furniture.  I applied it with a fine steel wool, let it dry for three minutes, then buffed off the hazy film with a clean cloth and some wax.  After it dried for a little bit, I applied another coat of plain wax.  You can stain the wood prior to adding the liming wax, but I chose to keep its natural finish.  I think the liming toned down the pink-ness of the furniture. 
 











No comments:

Post a Comment